Renter James Raimay was outside the building and smoke poured from the south side of the house. He was sleeping on his couch in the first floor when he became aware of the fire.
“The good lord woke me up,” Raimay said.
Firefighters kept the fire from spreading to the first floor, but the wood structure suffered heavy fire, smoke and water damage. Raimay was unable to return to his residence.
An aerial ladder truck, two engine companies and 15 firefighters responded to the scene. Ashtabula Township responded to the mutual aid call with an engine truck and Community Care Ambulance supplied a squad. No one was injured.
The Ashtabula Chapter of the Red Cross was called to assist Raimay.