Jefferson Volunteer Fire Department firefighter Dave Farina hoses down the smoldering remains of a concrete block and wood frame garage about 2 p.m.Tuesday at 1747 Lenox New Lyme Road in Lenox Township.
Lenox_ Julie Miller was in her kitchen and looking towards her neighbor’s home after the power went out, but she couldn’t see anything but smoke. She went to a different area and could not see the barn/ garage. Miller called 9-1-1.
“I think my barn is on fire, all I see is white,” Miller said. She placed the time of her call between 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m.
The Jefferson Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene and the Rome Fire Department answered the mutual aid call. Firefighters remained on the scene for at least two hours. The building was a total loss. A John Deere lawn tractor and a small Case tractor were destroyed in the very smoky blaze.
” It was kind of my husband’s catch-all,” Miller said. “I do not know what all was in there.”
Doug Miller, Julie’s husband, was not home at the time. “He is out on his ATV somewhere and left his phone home,” Julie said.
“He’s not going to be happy when he finds out his barn is gone.” The structure was built in 1968.